One of the best books that worth reading. It makes you actually think.
The starting of the book it talks about the main character practicing and learning a few religion, from Christianity to Muslim. He follows the teachings, carry out all the rituals, practice the good habits and good deeds. He was the favorite of the pastors, guru and imam. Everything went well until one day they found out that he is actually practicing a few religion instead of one, they became unhappy and looked for his parents, asking him and demand him to choose only one religion to believe in.
The thing that bugged me is since all of the religions require their followers to do good, be a good person, why is it so important that being recognized as you are having which religion? Let say they did not found out about him not just having one religion, I bet they won't know about it unless the boy told them by him-selves. How does it matters to them? Having more disciples will make them become stronger, more powerful? What are the benefits that they will actually obtain? Is there a quota saying you need to convert xxx amount to people into this religion in order to get into heaven/have a good life/have a good future? Religion supposed to be something that someone choose to believe in, practicing the essence of it to lead a better life, become a better person, have something to believe in, to hold on especially in times when people are facing problems, sad, anger or depressed. Religion supposed to make people to be more forgiving, spread more love and peace, less hatred, greedy and anger. The pastors, imam and guru who argued and furious about the boy's decision. How does their action convince people to look up to them? Is it worth arguing on a small matter? If your religion is "better", people would see it and choose to follow it. Whether it's "better" or not, everyone has their own ideas and standards. There is no definite answer.
Me myself still in a..learning state i would say. I'm from a Buddhist family, attended Buddhist classes during my younger age that period. Later on during college I' studying in a Christian college, the friends, the environment that I am exposed to are Christianity. I joined their events, went for their sharing sessions. In university too, a few of my friends and one close friend of mine is in CF. Joined their events. I was really impressed by their strong fellowship and their faith in God. At the same time I'm appreciating the teachings of Buddhism. To me, Buddhism is more like a subject that to be learnt and practice, it is logical and scientific, not to forget to mention that it is meaningful ad applicable to daily life situations. Sadly, most of the people can't differentiate Buddhism and the Chinese traditional practices. Offerings are flowers, fruits, not roasted pigs, chickens and the "money papers". In Buddhism they goes for simplicity, talk about being grateful and contented on what we have. Not having competitions of whose temple is bigger, which monk is more popular or who obtained more donation during a dana. Currently I'm in UK. As you know UK is a Christian based country, s it is common to see churches around, Christian holidays and activities all year round. I have signed up for this having a host family programme which runs under a Church. When people asked me about what's my religion, I will tell them I'm a Buddhist as it's stated in my birth cert. I just realized that it is compulsory to fill up the blank of "religion"in my birth cert/IC. What's the point of forcing individuals to fill up that blank/column? Does it makes one less sensible, less wise? At times I really feel like do something as the main character in the book does--currently I am doing it, learning and getting to know more about Buddhism and Christianity. I have to say religion is one of the best way to get to know more people and getting help at the times when you need it.
Does it matters to anyone that me practicing which religion and how would it affect the rest?
p.s.: hmph back to cleaning up my room, there's more to write about.
x
Hi ex. I'm also from a Buddhist family and I've been attending Christian events for a few months. My friends have asked me to convert to Christian for a few times, and I started to think..why do I need to convert? I can actually be a freethinker and learn to practice the teachings from both of the religions, without converting.
ReplyDeleteIt surprises me when I know this story is talking about something that bothers me recently. Haha.
By the way, your blog is nice ;)
hello! :) this book is really worth reading, n i heard the movie is good too but i m not such whether it can actually bring out the original message of the author.
ReplyDeleteat times i do wonder who actually set the rules about religion and all...i don't call myself a freethinker, cause at times i'm not open minded enough and tend to have prejudice...
Thanks for the read! :)