Teach for Malaysia came to our campus for a talk few days ago. So far I would say this is what I want to do in the future and I want to be the part of the elite team. Education is the only way to break the cycle of poverty and ignorance for the underprivillage ones. I am really really relatively lucky compared to most of the people in the world. The first time I know about teach for msia its cause I was following some leng lui's blog haha, she posted the stories about her teaching life. Later on is cause of the news, the internet and facebook page. It really breaks my heart seeing the condition of the kinds, some of the stories are really really touching which bring me into tears (haha or I have lower tolerance towards emotional stuff). The love hate relationship towards the kids. I am the kind of person who lacks of patience, when my dad asked me the same question more than 3 times I'll started to answer in an annoyed tone :x Teaching would be an excellent training for me to improve myself. I have this bias towards kids from urban areas haha, I think I mentioned before its because they are too smart in some way which makes me can't handle them. The need to staying and teaching in rural area will make me learn to appreciate more on what I have.
At the end of the talk, the speaker asked: 'What's stopping us from joining this?'Most of us kept quiet and finally a few answered him, the main reason is 'family obligations'. I believed that all parents will want their children to land on a good paid and secured job after graduation. After spending years studying for some profession degree suddenly you tell your parents you want to work as a teacher. In public school, in a band 5/6 school with the problematic kids, with a relatively low salary as your fellow graduates...its understandable that not all of the parents can accept it.
Another student asked whether it is better to join this program after freshly graduated from university OR after started working for few years. I like the answer given by the speaker:' Do it while you can'. Which means that at the moment we are still not bonded by more obligations and commitment. Once started having a family, any decision that has to be made will need to think more compared to when you are single as your decision influences your loved ones. I would love to have a family in the future but at the moment there are still things that I would want to do, I want to make a positive impact towards the society alongside with personal growth and self development along the way. No one knows what's going to happen in the future, what we can do is just embrace, to seize the moment...
self-reminder: there's rainbow after rain
No comments:
Post a Comment