Monday, 28 July 2014

I never realized how rare it is to have a dad who's actually have dinner with his family almost everyday, goes back home by 6pm (unless he's attending conference, meetings, which is very rare too) and makes the effort to plan at least one family trip every year until high school time. As I grow older I have learnt to appreciate this more and more. Yesterday there's a small argument in my house. In brief, it is because my sister doesn't wants to have lunch with the rest but my dad insisted her to go out and have meal, my sister responded with saying my dad never want to help her to take away. Erm ok the heck, my dad is the last person who will starve us. He has the 'fear' of us complaining hungry haha therefore my house always have sufficient food lol.

My mum bought up the argument again and explained why my dad makes the effort in making sure that we all have meals together. Having meals together enables interaction, sharing, no doubt it is an excellent method of bonding between family members (if smart phones/tablets are actually being kept away). Imagine there's no interaction between family members, except 'pass me the spoon/fork/rice/whatever' or 'excuse me' that kind of thing. It felt like just a bunch of random people eating together at the same location. When I was a kid I did not understood why my parents are making such a fuss, yelling our names during meal time, this and that bla bla bla so that we actually eat together.

As time passes, the kids grow older, the scene of the whole family eating together has became more and more rare. Some took off to further their studies, some out for work, some have their own family. The whole family eating together has become a form of luxury which can only be seen during occasions for instance during Chinese new year.

At the age of 10 you ask me, when was the last time you had dinner with your family? I would give you a 'huh?' face, saying 'today-lah'

At the age of 20, the answer would be 'erm, during weekends or public holiday when I'm back home'

At the age of 30....maybe it would be 'last month' or 'few months ago'. And I might be the one with my husband (if I have a family at that time) nagging the kid/kids to have meals together.

Do have meals with your family members as often as possible when you have the chance to do so :)

2 comments:

  1. Its very true abt eating together...btw, ur fonts are getting smaller...

    ReplyDelete